South Indian Mushroom Biryani Recipe
|Preparing time||Cook time||Total time|
|10 mins||20 mins||30 mins|
- Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 4.5 cups
- Mushroom-200 to 250 gms
- Tomatoes – 2 large tomatoes
- Onion – 1 large
- Green chilli- 1 or 2
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tbsp
- Mint + coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ or 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig (optional)
- Salt – to taste
Whole spices for fragrance:
- Cinnamon -1
- cumin seeds -1 tsp
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch of mace/javitri (optional)
- Cloves- 4-5
- Small cardamom -3-4
- 2 brinji leaves
- 1 small star anise
- Heat the pan. Pour oil in a pan.
- Add and fry all the whole spices mentioned above till they become fragrant.
- Now add the onion and fry them till they become golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, curry leaves, green chillies, add half of the mint-coriander leaves and all the spice powders.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now close the pan and cook the masala.
- Make sure the masala does not get burnt.
- Remove after some minutes and stir.
- When the masala is mixed well and the tomatoes are all cooked & paste like one, add the chopped mushrooms.
- Bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and wait until the mushrooms cook for some 4-5 minutes.
- After that add rice and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and the remaining half of the mint-coriander leaves.
- Close the pan with lid and cook till the rice is done.
- While serving mushroom biryani garnish or decorate with some mint or coriander leaves.
Serving size: 4
You May Also Like: Spicy Pepper Chicken