Creating Twitter Bot
A bot is a program that runs in the background and when it encounters a command, it performs some action. For example, if you have a grammar bot that searches spelling mistakes and suggests the correct spelling. A bot can send a message to the followers who follow you on twitter by using an auto-send. It automatically responds to when the brand gets @mention on twitter by using the auto-reply bot. Twitter bot is easy to write and you can run it in 5 minutes. It also runs on Google servers and you no need to create any special coding for the Bot because the bots are by default have Google Scripts.
How to Create your own Twitter Bot
The basic idea at the rear of bots is simple. You can identify a search phrase and select an action. Then the bot will show you the matching search phrase and perform the desired actions on those tweets.
Step1: Make an App for the Twitter Bot
- Create a new account on Twitter that works as a bot. Next go to twitter.com, sign-in by using your new Twitter account and create a Twitter app. Give the name and description for the app, put any URL in the website field. Agree to the developer terms and submit the form.
- After the app creation, clickModify App Permissions under Application Settings and alter the access level to Read, Write and Access Direct Messages.
- Next change to theKeys and Access Tokens tab and click the Create my Access Token Twitter will generate the Consumer Keys and Access tokens that we will need in a next step.
Step B: Configure your Twitter bots
- Click here and open the Twitter bots application. You may have to approve the bot once.
- Edit the values of Access Token, Consumer Secret, Twitter Consumer Key, and Access Secret that were created in the previous step.
- Next, you have to identify the search phrase for the bots. The app will find all new tweets that match this search phrase and process them all, one at a time. If you have the premium version, you can create up to 5 bots in one go.
- Click theCreate to initialize the Twitter bot. That’s it. The bots are now initialized and they’ll auto-run in the background.
Twitter Bots Video Tutorial
Please watch the Twitter Bots Video Tutorial (download) for a more detailed getting started guide. It is important to note that Twitter TOS discourages automation so you may want to test the waters with a test Twitter account.
You can use Twitter search operators to find more specific tweets for processing through bots. For instance, use min_faves or min_retweets operator to filter out spammy tweets from search results. Here are some of the areas where bots are handy:
- If you are changing your Twitter username, set an auto-DM bot for the old account so followers can know about your new screen name.
- If you are not in online for the specific time, then set up out of office replies so people won’t expect any reply from you soon.
- Follow or add the people who tweet on particular topics.
Twitter Bots – Unlock Premium Features
The Twitter bot is available in free and best editions. The latter includes more features and you are entitled to technical support for 3 months.
|Auto-Reply to Tweets||Yes||Yes|
|Run bot at specific time||Yes||Yes|
|DM New Followers||No||Yes|
|Add Users to Twitter List||No||Yes|
|Reply via DMs (to users who allow)||No||Yes|
|Support options||None||Every 15 minutes|
|How many Twitter bots can be created?||One||Five|
|How often do the bots run?||Once per hour|
You May Also Like:Twitter Goes Dark on IOS Thanks to Night Mode