Transfer WhatsApp Conversation to New Devices
One of the most popular communication tools in the internet world is Whatsapp. On concord, if you get a new phone and transfer your WhatsApp account to it, automatically your old messages don’t come with you. This article explains how to transfer WhatsApp conversations to a new device. So you can pick up your chats where you left off.
WhatsApp has been slowly updating the app to a version. This includes automatic Google Drive backups, which makes the process of transferring your WhatsApp chat history between phones even easier. Simply you click the trio of the dots at the top left of the screen and go to Settings -> Chats and calls -> Chat backup.
You can backup manually from here or set it to automatically back up as regularly as you like. It will prompt you to recover your chats and multimedia from Google Drive when WhatsApp is reinstalled.
It is still reasonably easy to create a backup and move it to your new mobile if you have yet to receive the Google Drive WhatsApp update. Follow the below steps:
- Click on Chats and Calls by opening the Settings menu of WhatsApp and then click Chat backup.
- Plug in your smartphone to your USB cable via PC. Then navigate to the internal memory of the device to the folder Database / WhatsApp. This is where all the backup files are saved with a date. It looks something like “msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt”. With the latest creation date copy the file. It will have a different name from the automatic backups created, mine is “msgstore.db.crypt8” onto your PC in an easy to find location just like your desktop.
- Install WhatsApp on your new device but do not start the app.
- Plug in your new device to the USB via PC. The folder WhatsApp / Databases should now exist because you’ve already downloaded WhatsApp onto your new handset. Or else, you can manually create a new Databases folder in the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy your WhatsApp conversation backup file into this folder.
Now start WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You will get a notification now that a message backup was found. Just click Restore, and you’re done. All of your messages should have appeared on your new device after a few seconds.
You May Also Like: How To Set A Password Lock For Whatsapp To Maintain Privacy