Food myths and facts

We have given you 5 food myths which might surprise you.

Myth: You can’t eat pasta on a diet


Are you trying to get slim? Don’t avoid every carbohydrate in your diet especially pasta.

“Pasta contains low glycemic index carbohydrate, so it breaks down your body slowly and don’t point out your blood sugar levels,” says Zannat Reza, who is a Toronto-based registered dietician.

It also contains folic acid, Vitamin B that is advised for women in child-bearing age.

To become healthy, pasta lover can take the pasta with sauce. It is better to take tomato-based marinarar to cut the fat when compared to a creamy alfredo. And remember the portion size- a half cup in one serving.

But Reza says it’s ok to take between 2 to 4 servings for a whole meal. Just confirm not to eat more than Canada’s Food Guide suggested between 6 to 7 servings a day of grain products.

Myth: Popcorn is just another junk food


If you are trying to stick to a healthy eating, taking the buttery popcorn as snacks while watching movies is not a good plan – even if making it in the best popcorn popper. But if you prepare it in a correct procedure then it is the source of fibre and antioxidants and it can be actually a healthy snack.

“The key to good health is how the popcorn is prepared,” says Vancouver-based registered dietitian Ramona Josephson, who suggests using an air popper


“The main thing for good health is how the popcorn is prepared,” says Vancouver-based registered dietician Ramona Josephson, who suggests by means of air popper. When it’s pop, skip the melted butter and spirtz your popcorn with some olive oil, and then toss with garlic powder or Parmesan cheese for an extra kick. “Adding globs of butter will overcome any health benefit,” says Josephson.


Myth: You can’t go wrong with salad


A Salad is no-fail healthy food option. right? But before choosing a salad from the list of food menu just try to know how many calories and how much fat it contains. For example consider: Apple Pecan Chicken Salad from Wendy’s clocks contains 580 calories, 1,590 grams of sodium and 27 grams of fat at the same time as a Jr. Hamburger and small French fries combo carry only 23 grams of fat and 560 calories and 760 grams of sodium.

If you still want to take salad?  Choose the best diet salads available. For instance, you can choose for grilled chicken over breaded, avoid high-fat creamy dressings and nix toppings like croutons for fast calorie savings. Or you can make your own fantastic salads at home.

Myth: Eggs will raise your cholesterol

Nutrition experts are saying for years that eggs were unhealthy. After all, they are one of the richest food sources of cholesterol in the human diet and because of eating egg cholesterol plugs up arteries, and it raises heart attacks and strokes, right? Wrong!

It changes about 25 percent of the cholesterol in your blood comes from food. Remaining 75% is put on by the liver, which produces more cholesterol when you eat sources of saturated fat- something eggs are small in.
If you have still doubt that eggs raise more cholesterol? They also contain more nutrients in that and they may offset their cholesterol content if any damage was done. It also contains unsaturated fat, B vitamins and folate and minerals.

Myth: Frozen fruit isn’t as healthy as the fresh stuff


You will think that choosing fresh fruits and vegetables nearby markets is the only way to go. But the foods actually imports from the long distance such as other states and countries, from that moment they were packed in crates. From the time of it was packed and lands into your kitchen counter, it will lose some of its nutrients.

By contrast, food processors flash-freeze their fresh-picked produce, which conserves much of its vitamin and mineral content. A University of Illinois study found, for example, that frozen beans took twice as much vitamin C as fresh beans purchased in a grocery store.

You May Also Like:Learn the basic cooking tips